400ft max height
Don't fly over people
Don't interfere with aircraft
Only line of sight
All Drone Laws in US for 2020 (Complete Guide)
This is a guide covering the drone laws in Latvia for 2020 (updated every year) where you'll get a clue about what you can or shouldn't do while flying a quadcopter anywhere in this country.
Table of Contents
Can I fly a drone in the Latvia?
Drones are legal in Latvia and fall under the arm of the Latvian Civil Aviation Authority, LCAA. Drones have increasingly grown in popularity prompting the Latvian Civil Aviation Authority to draft new laws back in 2016 aimed at streamlining the growth of this new form of air traffic. As more drones and RC aircraft rise, so does the recordings of accidents.
You can reach out to Latvian authorities at:
Can I travel to Latvia with my drone?
Yes. Just ensure you abide by the rules laid out by the airline.
What are the Drone Laws in Latvia?
This is a straightforward list covering all the updated rules for Latvia in 2020. The drone registration process is quite simple, but you pretty much need to register every drone you fly.
For recreational purposes, the law requires all operators to pass a knowledge and safety test that is based on consolidated information gathered from manufacturers and stakeholders. The scope of this exam covers questions on:
- aeronautical safety; and
- FAA regulations and requirements on the operation of unmanned aircrafy system (UAS) in the national airspace system.
You should follow the guidelines on recreational flying, not doing so could cause you criminal and civil penalties.
Other rules worth observing are:
- Filming large events requires permission from the event organizer and emergency parachutes.
- Drone pilots must always give precedence to manned aircraft and land their drones immediately.
What are my top drones to fly safely in Latvia?
My following two recommendations are 2 great compact drones that are quite silent and also small enough to travel with and not stand out as annoying.
1.Dji Mavic Mini - The best international travel drone (under 250g)
No follow me
2.Dji Mavic Air 2 - My favorite drone overall
Follow + obstacle avoidance
DJI lowered it's price since it was first released.
Commercial and recreational drone use in Latvia
In Latvia, drones do not have to be registered if they fall under 1.5 Kg. The same weight class determines whether you must have drone insurance. Drones weighing over 500 g can be flown over 50 m and require the user to be over 18 years old. For all other drone uses, have the drone registered and stick to strict flight codes of conduct.
Are there restricted areas for flying drones in Latvia?
- Flying anywhere around 500 m from a military installation, prison or warship is forbidden and can attract a penalty or fine.
- Flying over national parks or forests requires permission from the respective authorities overseeing them. As you register your drone this will be one of the conditions laid out.
- You cannot fly close to the meteorological and hydrological stations and other monitoring posts.