400ft max height
Don't fly over people
Don't interfere with aircraft
Only line of sight
All Drone Laws in New Zealand for 2020 (Complete Guide)
New Zealand is an excellent destination for drone pilots. The beautiful country is a popular destination for grabbing panoramic images. The kiwis have some of the most liberal drone laws of any country.
Table of Contents
Can I fly a drone in the United States?
What are the Drone Laws in US?
There's a few categories we need to take into account here depending on their weight and such.
To simplify everything I will put them into categories:
- CAR Part 101
- Operate aircraft below 25 Kg and ensure its safe for use
- All necessary steps must be taken to prevent exposing others to risk
- Fly during the day
- Prioritize manned aircraft
- View the drone from your naked sight only.
- Do not go over 120 m in height
- Know your airspace restrictions
- Keep 4 Km away from any aerodrome
- Ask for permission before flying over anyone
- CAR Part 102
- Laws around 102 are flexible as they are mainly for extremely flexible users. Certification here is granted on a case basis after all assurances are met.
- Concerned with areas such as national parks
- New Zealand Transport Authority and Local Council
- Unmanned Aircraft Operator Certificate
Do you need a license to operate commercially in New Zealand?
Not necessarily, you can still operate under the CAR 101 rules. However, there are companies today that only hire RPAS operators with CAR 102 licenses.
Frequently asked questions
These are some frequently asked questions by foreigners bringing drones to New Zealand